My sister is a fabulous NHS nurse with sore ears because of the loops on her face mask 😷 ☹️
So I’ve made some of these for her and her colleagues so that they can slip the loops over the buttons at the back of the head instead 👏 crochet solves every problem 😁
I have written up the pattern and give it to you for free so that you can make some ear savers for our amazing key workers all over the world at this difficult time.
Please share with all of your crocheting friends so they can make some too!
Approx 5g Aran cotton yarn, (so great for using up scraps!)
Large eyed needle
2 buttons diameter 2cm or more
Needle and thread
Finished ear saver is approx 8cm long; you can make yours longer by adding chains to the foundation chain
dc(sc) double crochet UK terminology (single crochet US terminology)
- Foundation chain: Chain 11
- Round 1: insert hook into 2nd chain from hook,
- 3dc(sc) into indicated stitch,
- dc(sc)into each ch until you reach the last ch
- 3dc(sc) into the last ch,as you can see, I like to crochet over my ends as I go along; this means less sewing in when you have finished
- continue to dc(sc) into each chain; you are now working into the bottom of your foundation chain
- Slip stitch into the top of your first dc(sc) of round 1 to join.
- Round 2: chain 1
- dc(sc)into this stitch,
- dc(sc) into each stitch around
- Slip stitch into the top of your first dc(sc) of round 2 to join
- Cut yarn and fasten off
Now you need to add your buttons. If your buttons have large enough holes, you can use the same yarn that you crocheted with. If however you only have smaller holed buttons in your stash, then you will have to use a needle and thread to sew them on.
- Position your button at the end of your ear saver.
- Sew button into place and knot securely at the back
- Sew in ends with a large eyed needle
Your ear saver can now be used by wrapping the loops of the face mask over each button rather than around the ears.
But, if you want to make it extra special for the fabulous key workers, you can add a little flower embellishment…
I hope you enjoy making your ear savers, I’d love to see them! Use #melucrochet to share!
The pattern and all photos within the pattern are protected under copyright and are the property of Melu Crochet. Please do not resell or share my patterns.
You may sell the finished products that you make from this pattern. Please consider selling for charity. If selling online, please include a link back to my website melucrochet.com -thank you!
Please share this pattern with all of your crocheting friends and help those amazing key workers and their sore ears!
Follow me for more ideas and inspiration on:
Spread a little rainbow joy
If you’d like to see more of my bobble stitch patterns, take a look at the Bobble Stitch Squares Set by Melu Crochet on etsy.
If you would like to try other bobble stitch patterns, take a look at these:
For the Bobble stitch chart patterns above, click here
If you’d like to see my other patterns, please take a look at my etsy shop